Social Media use has grown steadily over the last few yearsIn the last five years, consumers and marketers have both increased their use of social networks.
- 18 million Twitter users in 2009, 302 million current users
- In 2009, 17% of time online was spent on social media, now it is 28%
- A majority of marketers were involved in social media marketing for a few months or less, in 2015 it is down to 22%
- 56% of companies in 2010 used social media for 6 hours or more, 64% now fit this category
Social Media has real effects on companies and exposureCompanies recognize how valuable social media can be in promoting their brand, gaining attention, and improving sales. Oreo cookie made a splash with their "daily twist" campaign.
- Oreo daily twist campaign made 100 facebook posts in 100 days relating to current events
- 231 million media impressions created from 2,600 articles
- Gained 1 million fans on Facebook
- Increased share rate by 280%
- Each post shared an average of 1,472 times
- In 45 days, 15,000 new names created from over 20,000 users
- 1 million dollars in media exposure created
- 100 million online impressions
- 10% increase in sales
Psychology is getting involvedPsychology is now backing the effectiveness of social media use; studies have highlighted its impact on consumers. One study from the University of California San Diego found that emotions carry over social networks. They tracked over 1 billion posts over a 2 year period, especially on rainy days when the posts were more negative. They found that these emotions were transferred to friends posts who lived in other cities or even in other parts of the country. This is a vital study for marketers because it demonstrates how the tone of a social media post can trickle down, so it is important to keep posts upbeat and positive. Social Media is captivating the world’s attention and we are almost completely immersed in its web. Companies now recognize it as a crucial feature in their overall strategy. These social networks allow for a continuous dialogue which lets us to connect like never before. Social Media is the new standard, and it won’t be going away anytime soon. Drop us a line if your business is ready to improve its outreach and visibility.
More from the
Using CRO & Personalization to Sell More Stuf...
Strategy & Planning / March 15, 2018View Blog Post
This is a Post to Test Styles!
Design / March 8, 2018View Blog Post
White Paper: Using Design Trends to Create a UX Ad...
User Experience / December 14, 2017View Blog Post
Digital Operative Launches New York Office
News & Press / November 28, 2017View Blog Post